If you are planning to visit and have any questions regarding your access requirements, please get in touch with our Box Office on 020 8237 1010, where we can ensure that you receive guidance on our venue facilities and are able to book the best seats for your requirements.
There are several eligible categories for accessibility support and concessionary rates where these are available.
- Wheelchair users
- People with mobility impairments
- People with vision impairments
- People with hearing impairments
- Deaf people who use British Sign Language
- People with learning disabilities
- People with mental health conditions
- People with other non-visible impairments and chronic health conditions
Riverside Studios offers personal assistant tickets at no extra cost to deaf or disabled people who would not otherwise be able to attend without an assistant. This is an evidence-based system.
Companions or Personal Assistants are expected to help with way-finding, assisting the customer into and out of the venue and auditorium, buying and carrying food and drink, and undertaking all access requirements of the person they are assisting. They are not expected to leave the customer alone for long periods of time, be unable to meet the customer’s access requirements, or be inebriated at the event.
For all accessible seating requirements please contact our Box Office so we can ensure that you receive guidance on our venue facilities and are able to book the best seats for your requirements.
Inside the Venue
If you need early access into the performance space before the advertised door opening times, we will do all we possibly can to help, and will arrange for seating to be made available if required. We are not able to guarantee early admission to the auditorium itself, but will if possible and if not we will arrange for you to access the outer foyer area, or the VIP/Security entrance so that you can avoid any long queues.
We can also arrange for you to come and visit the venue when there is nothing on if you think it would be helpful to familiarise yourself with the building before you attend an event. Please contact us for advice.
Making Your Way Around the Venue
We have a power-assisted front door with a push-button opener.
All our spaces are accessible at Ground Floor level by ramp or lift access, and the floor surface is carpeted, smooth and level.
There is a fully accessible bathroom located on every level.
There are lowered counters at our Box Office and Bar & Kitchen.
Patrons who are attending a performance with a companion can book a complimentary Personal Assistant ticket by calling our Box Office
There are accessible toilets on all floors.
- All toilets have level entry
- All public toilets include ambulant disabled cubicles and a gender-neutral wheelchair-accessible WC
- All floor surfaces are smooth and anti-slip
- All areas are well-lit
- The door clear opening width to all the toilets is 860mm. There is clear floor space in all the toilets up to 1200 x 1200mm. The space beside the WC is 800mm.
- The locks can be opened from outside in an emergency
- There is right-hand and left-hand transfer to the WC
- Vertical and horizontal rails are fitted beside the WC
- The basin taps are push taps
- Hot water temperature is controlled at the point of delivery
- There is a strobe light linked to the fire alarm
- There is an emergency cord
- There are colour contrasts between surfaces
Food & Drink
There is a café area available on the ground floor next to the Box Office, which is open 7 days a week, as well as the main bar on the ground floor. These spaces are accessible throughout. The Cinema has its own bar, close to the doors into the venue, which is accessible via the lift.
- All food and drink areas have level access
- There is space between the furniture and clear space under the tables is 720mm
- There are low level counters at the bars
- Tableware contrasts with the tables
- All bar and café prices are available in large font on request
- Dietary needs can be catered for, please contact us if you have a specific requirement
- All areas are well lit, and the floors are level and anti-slip
- There are accessible toilets close to all the food and drink areas
- Hot food and hot drinks are not permitted in the auditorium
- Only food and drink purchased on the premises may be consumed in the venue, but should you require specific items due to a medical requirement please let us know when booking your tickets or contact a member of staff on the day of your visit.
Riverside Studios welcomes assistance dogs. They can either accompany you to your seat, or venue staff will willingly look after your dog while you enjoy the event. We can provide water bowls for your dog if required.
Induction Loop and Visual Impairment Narration
Riverside Studios welcomes audience members to connect to the Mobile Connect app for events in Studios One, Two and Three. With MobileConnect, performances are transmitted over Wi-Fi in real-time and in high quality to mobile devices and smartphones. To access a live stream, visitors simply need to download and install the free MobileConnect app (available for iOS and Android). On arrival, please speak to Venue Operations at Reception and they will get you logged onto the device-specific Wi-Fi.
In the cinema we use T-induction loops.
We use Dolby Fidelio in our Cinema Screens, a wireless audio system that delivers both Hearing Impaired and Visually Impaired Narration. Please ask at Reception and they will assist. https://professional.dolby.com/product/dolby-accessibility-solutions-for-cinema/fidelio/
We are also equipped with a digital audio description system which operates in the Cinema film permitting.
We have little influence in the running of live events when it comes to sound levels. Artists generally travel with their own sound and lighting systems and their engineers control them throughout the event. We do monitor both sound quality and decibel output and we will advise production crews when necessary, although we will not be able to turn the volume down unless it is breaching legal limits. Ear plugs are available on request.
Please also be aware that some shows will contain strobe lighting or smoke effects. Signage will be available in the venue, on our website and promotional literature to advise customers of this. Please contact us before booking tickets if this is an issue for you, and we will contact the promoter on your behalf for further information.
We appreciate that sometimes people need a break in order to enjoy a show and having the option of a quiet space can be hugely beneficial to someone with autism, learning disabilities, anxiety or those who experience sensory overload.
Riverside Studios is a busy venue, however, some areas are quieter than others on show nights. If you are feeling uncomfortable or would like to be shown to a quiet space, please ask a member of staff who will be happy to assist you.
Customers With Medical Needs
Trained First Aiders are available for all events and can be summoned by staff. There is also an area available at all events, which can also be used as a quiet space and location for any medical treatment.
In the event of an emergency there will be both an audible alarm in all areas, flashing lights in the main auditorium and strobe lights in the accessible toilets. Staff will ensure the safe exit of all people.