There are several eligible categories for accessibility support and concessionary rates where these are available.
- Wheelchair users
- People with mobility impairments
- People with vision impairments
- People with hearing impairments (including D/deaf people who use British Sign Language)
- People with learning disabilities
- People with mental health conditions
- People with other non-visible impairments and chronic health conditions
Riverside Studios offers personal assistant tickets at no extra cost to people who would not otherwise be able to attend without a carer or personal assistant. This is an evidence-based system.
Companions or Personal Assistants are expected to help with way-finding, assisting the customer into and out of the venue and auditorium, buying and carrying food and drink, and undertaking all access requirements of the person they are assisting. They are not expected to leave the customer alone for long periods of time, be unable to meet the customer’s access requirements, or be inebriated at the event.
Inside the Venue
If you need early access into the performance space before the advertised door opening times, we will do all we possibly can to help, and will arrange for seating to be made available if required. We are not able to guarantee early admission to the auditorium itself, as this is at the discretion of our productions and will vary for each individual show.
Please contact us if you require additional support or advice about our venue layout.
Making Your Way Around the Venue
We have a power-assisted front door with a push-button opener.
All our spaces are accessible at Ground Floor level by ramp or lift access, and the floor surface is carpeted, smooth and level.
There is a fully accessible bathroom located on every level.
There are lowered counters at our Box Office and Bar & Kitchen.
There are accessible toilets on all floors.
- All bathrooms have level entry and include ambulant-disabled cubicles and a gender-neutral wheelchair-accessible WC.
- All floor surfaces are smooth and anti-slip, and areas are well-lit.
- The door clear opening width to all the toilets is 860mm. There is clear floor space in all the toilets up to 1200 x 1200mm. The space beside the WC is 800mm.
- The locks can be opened from outside in an emergency, and each accessible bathroom has a red emergency cord. If pulled, this will trigger an alarm at our reception which will then be investigated up by a member of our Front of House team. The alarm can only be reset from inside the accessible bathroom.
- There is right-hand and left-hand transfer to the WC, with vertical and horizontal rails fitted beside the WC.
- The basin taps are push taps, with hot water temperature controlled at the point of delivery.
- There is a strobe light linked to the fire alarm - this will flash if the fire alarm sounds.
- There are colour contrasts between surfaces.
Food & Drink
There is a café area available on the ground floor next to the Box Office, which is open 7 days a week, as well as the main bar/kitchen on the ground floor. These spaces are accessible throughout. The Cinema has its own bar downstairs, which is accessible via the lift.
- All food and drink areas have level access, with low-level counters at the bars.
- There is space between the furniture and clear space under the tables is 720mm.
- All bar and café prices are available in large font on request.
- Dietary needs can be catered for, please contact us if you have a specific requirement.
- All areas are well-lit, and the floors are level and anti-slip.
Assistance Dogs/Support Animals
Riverside Studios welcomes assistance dogs, including guide dogs for the blind and visually impaired, medical assistance dogs, and emotional support dogs. Dogs must be professionally trained to behave appropriately within the performance space, and must remain on a leash at all times. Dogs can either accompany you to your seat, or venue staff will willingly look after your dog while you enjoy the event. We can provide water bowls for your dog if required.
Support animals may be admitted by mutual agreement. Out of consideration for other patrons, we ask that patrons make contact with our box office at least 24 hours in advance of visiting our venue so that appropriate consideration can be given.
Induction Loop and Audio Description
In the cinema we use T-induction loops. We use Dolby Fidelio in our cinema screens, a wireless audio system that delivers both hearing-impaired and visually-impaired narration. Please ask at Reception and we will assist.
For more information, please go to: https://professional.dolby.com/product/dolby-accessibility-solutions-for-cinema/fidelio/
We are also equipped with a digital audio description system which operates in the cinema film permitting. Audio description is available for most films, and headsets are available upon request from our projectionist in the cinema foyer.
DECEMBER 2023 update: please note that we are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our audio-description system, and are currently unable to provide headsets for our audio-described films. Please speak to a member of our Box Office team so that we can best support you throughout the booking process, and during your visit.
Sound and Light
We have little influence in the running of live events (including our theatre productions) when it comes to sound levels, including amplifying sound for hearing-impaired patrons. Artists generally travel with their own sound and lighting systems and their engineers control them throughout the event. We do monitor both sound quality and decibel output and we will advise production crews when necessary, although we will not be able to turn the volume down unless it is breaching legal limits. Ear plugs are available on request.
Please also be aware that some shows will contain strobe lighting or smoke effects. Signage will be available in the venue, on our website and promotional literature to advise customers of this. Please contact us before booking tickets if this is an issue for you, and we will be able to offer more comprehensive advice/information. For those with sensitivity to light/sound, we may be able to offer a crib sheet with information on strobe effects/haze/loud noises, but depends on the specific production.
We appreciate that sometimes people need a break in order to enjoy a show and having the option of a quiet space can be hugely beneficial to someone with autism, learning disabilities, anxiety or those who experience sensory overload.
Riverside Studios is a busy venue, however, some areas are quieter than others on show nights. If you are feeling uncomfortable or would like to be shown to a quiet space, please ask a member of staff who will be happy to assist you.
Customers With Medical Needs
Trained First Aiders are available for all events and can be summoned by staff.
In the event of an emergency there will be both an audible alarm in all areas, flashing lights in the main auditorium and strobe lights in the accessible toilets. The Visitor Experience (Front of House) Team will ensure the safe exit of all people from the building. We have designated refuge points within the building for the safe evacuation of our access patrons - should you require these in an emergency, staff will direct you to these locations, and will offer further instruction.